Some recipes are passed down from generation to generation, some are recorded forever in cookbooks, others are even sent viral on the inter net, this is not one of those recipes This is one of those meals created out of the leftovers in the fridge, and the pressure brought on by a hungry family. This soup was created with my daughter in mind, she loves beef and bean burritos, not the homemade ones, the school cafeteria throw in the microwave ones (no judging people). I had leftover stew meat and the filling of my chicken enchiladas after my day of cooking this week so an idea formed, how about putting the flavors of Emma’s burritos in a soup! So I did, it turned out very tasty and I thought I’d done a great job until Emma said ” It’s good mom, but doesn’t taste like the burrito.” Oh well you can’t win them all…
1 lb. Beef – cubed or ground
1/4 cup flour
3 Tbs. butter
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
Bean filling – 1 can re-fried beans, 4 oz. cream cheese, 1 cup salsa. Cook over low heat until smooth.
Chicken stock/ water/ v8 juice – enough to get the consistency you desire. I used v8 juice.
* Coat your meat with the flour.
* In your large soup pot melt your butter, and add the beef and brown it.
* Add the tomatoes, and the bean mixture and stir.
* Bring to simmer and add the extra liquid until the soup is the consostency you wish. Bring it back to a simmer, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
* Serve and eat! I put sour cream and grated cheddar on mine!