This is a tried and true picnic bbq or pot luck recipe. I recall having this as a child, but is was not until being posted at Ft. Polk, Lousianna that I recieved a written recipe for it (Thank you Chrissy A.) It does not get any easier than this salad. It is best made the morning of an evening event or the night before a daytime event, which in my book makes it even higher in my esteem!
1 head iceberg lettuce – chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
3-4 stalks celery chopped
1 small bag of frozen peas ( or 1/2 bag of family size)
2 cups mayo
3-4 Tbs. sugar
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4-5 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
* Layer Ingredients in order given.
* Spread the mayo over the peas like frosting.
* Sprinkle sugar on top of mayo.
* THen place cheese on top of mayo, then bacon ( Everything is better with bacon)
* Cover with lid, saran wrap, or foil and refridgerate.
* Put out to serve and enjoy!
This salad is awsome as leftovers, but does not keep longer than 2 days after served.