I’m running a little behind this week, my goal of 2 cookbook recipes a week may not happen this week:(. Oh well this one smells so good it will make up for just having one! My son picked out this lovely dessert selection from one of my favorite chefs Ina Garten. It comes from her Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics Cookbook. It was super simple to make and I’m not joking when I tell you the smell is enough to drive you crazy waiting for it to cool!
1/2 lb. butter – melted and cooled
4 xtra large eggs ( I used large)- at room temp
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup flour
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean ( I used 1 tbs vanilla extract)
1 Tbs. framboise liqueur (optional) – Ok total honesty I had NO idea what this was so I did not add.
Vanilla ice cream for serving!
* Pre heat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly butter a 2 quart (9x12x2) dish. Melt butter and let cool. I also pulled out eggs at same time to get them to room temp.
* With a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium speed , about 5-10 mins, or until the mixture is thick and a light yellow. Meanwhile sift cocoa and flour together and set aside.
* When the egg mixture is ready put mixer on low and vanilla seeds and liquer ( or in my case the vanilla extract), and the flour mixture. Mix only until just combined, then add the butter also on slow speed until just combined.
* Put in your greased pan and place that pan in a larger pan and add hot tap water until it is about 1 in up the side of pan.
* Bake for exactly one hour. The center will be appear to be under baked. Let cool and serve.
This is a cross between brownies and pudding! I will have to put the ratings up later as we are dishing it out right now!